SOLAR PV SYSTEM INSTALLATION
Steps needed to interconnect a solar photovoltaic (PV) system, with Berkeley Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- Submittal of Interconnection Application (must be fully completed, signed and dated). (Submit the same info to the applicable Building Inspector’s office.)
- Submit a copy of Homeowners Insurance Declaration and sales contract: (total price with kWh production estimate per month).
- System Sizing Limit: due to wholesale power agreements we are limiting the size solar PV connected, to the annual kWh use divided by 1,800 for the AC kW size or the average monthly kWh use/150.
- Submit a copy of a one-line electrical drawing and the $150.00 interconnection fee. Additional field inspection fee is $50, per inspection.
- Berkeley Electric will review for completeness and notify solar company of the application status. Please send the completed application for interconnection to Tameka at Berkeley Electric Cooperative, Attn: Tameka: solar PV interconnection, P O Box 1234, Moncks Corner, SC 29461.
- Solar System construction: Effective Sept. 18, 2018 contractors MAY NOT connect in our meter base: they MUST connect in the member’s breaker panel.
- DO NOT enter our meter base! We will charge up to $1,000 for unauthorized meter tampering.
- When the solar panel system is completed, contact the city or county Building & Codes Enforcement for an inspection, who will notify Berkeley Electric of the release. See our drawing below:
- Berkeley Electric engineering/metering staff is notified and a service order is submitted for installation of bi-directional meter.
- There is typically a two-week time period after the release is called in by the Building Codes Official for the bi-directional meter to be installed. Do not leave the solar PV system energized after testing. The system should only be energized once Berkeley Electric installs the bi-directional meter.
- Either the solar PV company or the member is notified when bi-directional meter is installed. Berkeley Electric will not leave the solar PV system energized, unless an occupant is home at the time of inspection.
Berkeley Electric Cooperative Net Metering Rider is available for Residential and Small Commercial accounts (<100 kVa). It is available for Large Power accounts on the non-time of day rate.